Share This Dish: Kevin Fink from Emmer and Rye
My last few meals at Emmer and Rye have been the best meals that I have had in a long time. Chef Kevin Fink and his team, led by Chef de Cuisine Page Pressley are doing some of the best work in Austin right now. Kevin sources incredible product, cooks inventive, yet approachable food and understands hospitality as well as anyone I know. I love being able to call Kevin a friend and am honored to have my work used in his restaurant every night.
Kevin is also incredibly giving and is a steadfast supporter of the Austin Food and Wine Alliance (which I sit on the board of). He's going to be hosting two guest-chef dinners for the AFWA's Wine and Dine series, hosting Hugh Acheson on July 30th and Alon Shaya on September 10th. Tickets are available for these intimate dinners now...so go get yours now!
Kevin shares his recipe for Labneh with fried pecans, capers and oregano below. All of the ingredients are available at Whole Foods Market, the sponsors of the AFWA's Wine and Dine Series.
Labneh with fried pecans, capers and oregano
Courtesy of Kevin Fink: Emmer and Rye
- 8 ounces Mother Culture Yogurt
- 4 ounces Organic Bulk Pecans
- 8 ounces Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 8 ounces Water
- 365 Kosher Sea Salt to taste
- 1 ounce 365 Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 ounce Jeff's Natural Organic Capers
- 1 ounce fresh Oregano (removed from stems)
- California Ranch Cold Press Olive Oil
1. Add sugar, salt, vinegar and water into a saucepot. You are making a slightly zingy simple syrup. Bring to a boil, add pecans and let simmer for 5 min.2. Strain pecans and let dry.3. Heat oil in saucepot to 350 degrees and fry pecans until golden brown. Remove pecans.4. Add capers and oregano and fry until aromatic and slightly crispy.5. Combine pecans, oregano and capers.6. Place yogurt on a shallow plate, drizzle with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Top with the pecan mixture and serve with your favorite cracker, pita or Roti.
Photos: Julia Keim/Giant Noise